The Hayes Zoo
- to know God and use our entire lives in service to Him.
- to stand in the gap through prayer, giving and service to viable ministries in Latin America.
- to be transparent helpers of fellow brothers and sisters in Christ, using our resources and skills that through the Holy Spirit, we might encourage and equip those who have less.
- to share a living perspective from Latin America to our churches, friends and family in the states and beyond.
Thursday, April 1, 2010
We send warm greetings from high in the desert of Oaxaca, MX. We trust this arrives to find you well and walking in the unmatched rhythms of God’s grace.
God has been doing many amazing things, both in our family and in our time in Mexico. We are excited to update you on these many changes.
As you know, the HayesZoo has been in a time of transition for the past season. Five months ago, after a year in Honduras, God brought us to Oaxaca for a period of rest and restoration. This has been a blessed time for our family, and we have been able to rest and regroup over the last several months.
During this time, one of the questions foremost on our minds was “What next, God?!” We are now (finally!) able to say we believe God has led us to settle in Oaxaca in a more permanent way. We are so excited to see the doors God is opening to allow us to continue to work here in Mitla, Oaxaca longer-term. These include:
-a like-mindedness with the leaders and ministry here in Oaxaca
-an invitation by the leaders here to stay and participate in the work of providing audio bibles to Oaxaca’s indigenous, non-reading people groups
-the opportunity to pray and discuss the decision with many trusted advisors, both locally and stateside, and to receive confirmation
-a situation that “fits” our family in so many ways, from being back in Mexico where God first called us, to friends for each of our children, to a home in the perfect location
This first, large decision - to commit, long-term, to ministry here in Oaxaca - brings about several other important decisions.
One of these decisions has us returning to the US in April for a time of furlough. This visit will allow us to re-connect with our families and supporters, share our vision for the new work God has given us, and re-establish our prayer and financial support base.
We will leave Mexico the third week of April. We’ve been blessed with family, friends and supporters throughout the western US, and plan to visit with as many as possible. While a large goal for this trip will be the raising of both prayer and financial support, we also anticipate a glorious helping of fellowship, too.
If you live along our route and would like to explore possibly hosting an evening of sharing and fellowship in your home, please let us know. We envision a series of evenings as we travel the western US, filled with fellowship, prayer, and sharing our work. Or, if you can offer housing, please contact us for that reason, too.
We hope to arrive in Washington by late May, where we will spend June and most of July. We look forward to this extended time to reconnect with our parents, church family, and share our vision for our work in Mexico more completely. Because there are many projects scheduled in Oaxaca beginning in September and on through the end of the year, we would like to be back in Oaxaca, resettled and ready to work by mid August.
There are many prayer needs that go along with this kind of an undertaking, and we covet your prayer covering. We truly believe prayer is the foundation of our trip and work. Please join us by praying for these needs:
• Safety as we travel to the US. Violence in the border regions has been in the news lately. We’ll need to drive through this area, so a special covering there is necessary. Specifically pray for our trip to the border and the crossing.
• Visa, passport, and paperwork details will need to be taken care of as soon as we cross the border. We also need to update our vehicle’s paperwork.
• Traveling: it’s a very long road trip which our children are NOT looking forward to.
• Housing, both as we travel and while in Washington.
• The ability to clearly communicate the work of our ministry here in Oaxaca, the needs, and the various ways people can partner with us.
• Health for our family as we’re changing climates, diets, schedules, cultures and more.
• Finally, we invite you to rejoice with us. God, in His infinite wisdom and grace, plans to bless our family with a wee babe this fall. Prayers for health for mama and babe, as well as wisdom for the decisions that surround this change are most welcome.
Your prayers, love and support are so appreciated.
Que Dios les bendiga,
Alan & Faith Hayes
Riley, Janelle, & Natalie